Monday, June 16, 2014

Chimichurri Sauce

Chimichurri Sauce is a super fresh herbacious blend of parsley, garlic, lemon, and olive oil. A bit like pesto in that it is herb-based and blended with olive oil, but very different in flavor. It's origins lie in South America where it is a popular marinade, dipping sauce, spread, and much more. 

Chimichurri Sauce

My neighbor dropped off a huge bunch of  parsley on my front doorstep the other day - cut straight from his garden. That's how I got started down this Chimichurri path. I've heard about this amazingly fresh, delicious sauce plenty of times before and I've always been intrigued. But I've never had a big bunch of parsley just waiting for me to do something exciting with it. Thanks to my neighbor, it finally happened this week!

I used this recipe from Food.com as my base. I didn't modify it much because, after reading the reviews and comments, I really didn't want to mess with perfection. I mean, listen to this!
  • "My dad is from Buenos Aires and this recipe is spot on!"
  • "This makes your steak taste like it was just dragged through a garden" (that's a good thing, right?)
  • "One word to describe this marinade: FRESH!"

Chimichurri Sauce & Spoon

I used the first of my chimichurri sauce as a marinade for grilled chicken. It'd also be great with steak or shrimp, and it is so easy to do. Simply cover the chicken with spoonfuls of chimichurri in the morning, then grill over hot coals in the evening. Serve with extra chimicurri on the side, as a sauce.  So fresh and delicious!

Other Ways to Use Chimichurri:


  • In quinoa patties (leave out the herbs & sub in a few big spoons of chimichurri instead).
  • Stirred into a garden fresh frittata. (PS I love this blog & its photography!)
  • As a marinade for kebabs.
  • As a marinade (or just sauce if you don't think ahead!) for steak or shrimp. 
Chimichurri sauce as chicken marinade

Chimichurri Sauce

  • 1 1/2 packed cups fresh parsley
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup vinegar (I used rice vinegar, red wine vinegar is another popular option)
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • Juice from 1/4 lemon
  • 1 Tbsp diced red onion
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Pulse parsley in food processor a few times to begin chopping it up.

Add all other ingredients.Process until it all comes togther in a sauce. It will still have some texture - you don't need to process it until it is completely smooth here.

Store in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it as a marinade

4 comments:

  1. I fell in love with chimichurri sauce as I traveled in Argentina and Uruguay. There really is nothing better to accompany a great piece of grilled meat! Will definitely make this version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made this and served it with lovely grilled picanha. I still have something left so I use it to marinate veggies like potatoes before putting them on the grill. Delicious! Thank you for the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. For some reasons, I thought chimichurri sauce is a really complicated sauce. Oh well, silly me! This is totally easy with only a few ingredients! Gotta try this. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's a mega garlic hit, blown my chance of a date tonite! although, they were my little homegrown garlic cloves......

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...